Whether you are just starting out in your business or consider yourself a seasoned pro, GAF has the roofing contractor training to help you succeed. That's why the company founded its Center for the Advancement of Roofing Excellence (CARE) with contractor success in mind.
Learn Your Way
The CARE team, made up of more than 30 deeply experienced roofing professionals, is committed to giving businesses in the roofing industry training and support. Understanding that people learn differently, GAF developed its CARE training to accommodate a variety of learning styles. The robust, online learning portal offers training on products, installation, sales, marketing, and general business best practices that you can watch at your own pace.
Training is available in multiple languages, including English, Spanish, and French. In addition to self-paced learning, there are also options for instructor-led training via webinars or live, in-person learning at locations throughout the US and Canada.
CARE Trailer Training
One way that GAF makes roofing contractor training around the country easy is through CARE Trailer Training. Designed to teach your crew techniques and tips that will help them save time and money on commercial roofing installations, GAF brings the training right to you.
The trainers provide a trailer full of commercial roofing products including EverGuard® TPO membrane, accessories, hot air welders, heat guns, and roof deck mockups so that crews can get the hands-on training they need to be more efficient at installations and repairs.
A typical session includes the following topics:
- Accessories: Training starts with demonstrations of GAF prefabricated accessories and provides an understanding of where to start and finish welding while installing. It also covers what the field reps are going to be looking for in the finished installation to meet quality requirements for warranties.
- Heat guns: The training team reviews the different types of heat guns to familiarize crews with the various types and sizes and to ensure they gain some basic troubleshooting skills. There is a particular focus on safety with a review of suitable power sources for different types of hot air welders.
- Welding methods: After reviewing heat guns, crews learn the different hand welding methods with a focus on a two-pass weld using silicone rollers and the importance of checking the welds with a probe.
- Membrane layout: The learners will also see correct roofing membrane layouts, ensuring fewer stops and starts for more efficient installations. Equally important is understanding the right layout for RhinoBond® installations on metal roofs.
- Automatic welders: These can be key to quality installation if used correctly. The instructor shows how to perform test welds and pull tests to determine the proper temperature and speed setting for the welder. Safety and proper usage is also an area of focus.
- Adhesives review: The instructor reviews different types of adhesives, including low-rise foam and GAF TPO Quick Spray, and shares tips for efficiently changing tanks and keeping spray tips clear.
- Hands-on tables: After the demonstrations, the attendees have a chance to show their knowledge by hand-welding accessories directly onto the mockups.
Positioning Contractors for Success
Understanding how to install strong roofing systems is just one aspect of being a successful roofing contractor. That is why GAF is committed to providing whatever tools and training contractors need to find success in their businesses.
An abundance of training opportunities are available through the CARE Training Program, and new training courses and locations are added regularly. Get started today by visiting the CARE training page on the GAF website. If you are interested in bringing CARE Trailer Training to your crews, contact your GAF Territory Manager.