Impacted by Hurricane Laura?
Resources for Homeowners Impacted by a Storm
Questions to ask your contractor
6 Tips for Choosing the Right Roofing Contractor
After a damaging storm, you want to quickly get your roof restored, but that doesn't mean you should choose the first contractor who knocks on your door. To find a trustworthy, qualified roofing professional, we suggest focusing on the six items below:
Sometimes a manufacturer-certified contractor can offer greater warranty coverage.
Contractors must pass certain minimum requirements to be factory certified.
Ensure that they have a satisfactory rating with Better Business Bureau.
Licensing and insurance
Ask to see a copy of their license and insurance certificate.
Ask for a list of references you can call and check online reviews.
So, if needed, someone can help with emergency fixes.
Three Reasons a Pro Should Evaluate Your Roof for Storm Damage
Chad Conley, CEO & Co-Founder of Complete Roofing, is a GAF Master Elite® Contractor located in Atlanta. He’s replaced more than 9,000 roofs and, based on that experience, shared three compelling reasons why you should leave roof evaluations to the pros.
1. Your safety matters. Seeing some damage requires getting on the roof, and most homeowners should leave climbing ladders and steep-slope roofs to an experienced pro.
2. It takes a trained eye. Significant storm damage might not look like much at all to the untrained eye, but an experienced GAF Master Elite® Contractor knows how to read the tell-tale signs of damage.
3. They can explain the damage to the insurance adjuster. Someone is going to have to show this damage to your insurance adjuster. Your Master Elite® Contractor is trained to recognize damage, and “speak the same language” as the adjuster, so they can communicate clearly and help ensure that your loss is covered correctly. To find a trustworthy, GAF factory-certified contractor in your area, visit gaf.com/contractor.
More tips for getting through the storm
Find more tips for getting the roof you need -- and want -- from these interviews with GAF Master Elite® Roofing Contractors.
How your contractor will identify storm damage
Planning your new roof
Understand the process for fixing your roof so you can Get Through the Storm easier.
What to Expect from the Roof Replacement Process
Let a GAF Master Elite® Contractor walk you through her company's process for repairing or replacing a roof after a storm.
The Storm Restoration Process
The roof restoration process after a storm can vary from one roofing company to the next. Below is the process followed by Weatherguard Roofing, a Charlotte and Raleigh, NC-based Master Elite Contractor which specializes in roofing and storm restoration work.
The contractor will do an initial inspection to assess the damage that's occurred.
If there is damage, the contractor will encourage the homeowner to file a claim with their insurance company.
An insurance adjuster will visit the property and do an assessment.
Once the claim is approved, the contractor will meet with the homeowner to go over the options and choose the right type of materials for the job.
The work is then scheduled (it will be scheduled in stages).
a. The roof replacement will be the first project that's completed.
b. Other work, if required, such as gutters and siding will be repaired after the roof is done.
The contractor will submit all the completed paperwork to the insurance company, and this will certify that the work is completed.
Once the insurance company verifies that that work is completed, then they will issue payment.
Help with Finding the Right Roofer
Choosing the right roofing contractor to protect your home after a storm may seem like a challenge. But it's important to repair damage quickly.
1. Inform Insurance Company. Notify your insurance carrier if you expect your roof has been damaged.
2. Document Damage. Your professional roofing contractor should do a complete damage assessment with photographs to be shared with your insurance adjuster.
3. Insurance Claim Decision. This is often done on site with your insurance adjuster. Be sure you have a professional damage assessment done prior to accepting the claim decision.
4. Get Payment. Payments will be made directly to you not the contractor and typically come in two parts. An actual cash value payment immediately and a replacement amount once the roof is repaired or replaced.
5. Premium Discount. Once the work is completed check back with your insurance company and see if you qualify for any discounts on your insurance premiums.
Why choose GAF roofing for your home?
High-quality roofing systems, factor-certified roofers and exceptional warranties for your peace of mind.
North America’s #1-selling shingle
When you choose GAF, you’re in good company. More Americans trust the protection of GAF Timberline® Shingles than any other brand. With our Advanced Protection® Shingle Technology you get toughness, wind resistance, flexibility, and fire resistance.
Extensive network of GAF factory-certified roofers
Every year GAF trains and certifies thousands of roofers on high quality installation using the latest technologies. Our stringent criteria ensures proper licensing and insurance, and a track record for providing quality roofing services in your community.
Warranties to protect your investment
Get the protection you want with a GAF warranty. When you hire a GAF factory-certified contractor you can take advantage of our strongest warranties for long term peace of mind. We offer several options, so you can choose the right level of coverage for your project.
GAF in the community with Team Rubicon
Find a GAF Factory-Certified Contractor
At GAF, we train and test thousands of the best roofers in the country and make sure they're appropriately licensed and insured so they can offer our best warranties.