The 605 Lincoln Road Building (known locally as the former “Sony Music Building”) is located on South Beach’s historic road of open-air retail shops, restaurants, art galleries, and other businesses. Built in 1932, the building is an example of the historic art deco architecture found in the South Beach area.
- It is also the home of SapientNitro, an international technology services firm that houses its data center on the penthouse level.
The company’s data center is located directly below the building’s cooling tower units, which emit water as a byproduct of this type of cooling system. Therefore, it was a major concern to ensure a watertight roof was in place to protect thousands of dollars of servers and electronic equipment.
The development firm was looking for a roofing solution that would maintain a leak-free building without tearing off the existing roof, while also being able to be used as a walkable deck with no resemblance of a roofing application.
- Using the HydroStop™ PremiumCoat® System allowed the 605 Lincoln Road Building and the surrounding restaurants and boutiques to experience zero disruption to their businesses or pedestrian traffic. Due to the open-air pedestrian area below, a spray application could not be used, but the HydroStop™ PremiumCoat® System’s versatile application process turned out to be a great solution. The BarrierGuard® System was used as the primary waterproofing system within the cooling towers’ roof deck to ensure the data center below would not experience water intrusion.
- HydroStop™ FlexCoat Wall Coating was used as the secondary waterproofing for the vertical walls surrounding the cooling towers. FlexCoat is a flexible elastomeric that fills cracks and provides a smooth, watertight barrier for masonry surfaces (which are primary points of entry for water). FlexCoat is carefully formulated to remain flexible and allow for movement while providing a high-quality water seal.
- PremiumCoat® is a fluid-applied, 100% reinforced, water-based acrylic elastomeric roof system that has been FM 4470 tested for water leakage, wind uplift, hail damage, flame spread, and resistance to foot traffic.Staying consistent with the art-deco theme, the TrafficCoat® wave pattern (applied in two non-skid coats over the full PremiumCoat® System) reinforced the primary initiative of a watertight, walkable, and beautiful roof system.
• PremiumCoat® System plus TrafficCoat pattern
• BarrierGuard® and HydroFiber for the pitch pans