Frequently Asked Questions

California Title 24

Understanding what is necessary to comply with Title 24 can be difficult…
We have tried to simplify the requirements for you. We only address the easiest way to comply with Title 24 requirements.

Q: So does my roof need to comply with Title 24 requirements?
Yes, if it is one of the following:

Building Types Affected…
Non-Residential, Types A, B, E, F, H, M, R, S and U

A - Assembly Group M - Mercantile Group
B - Business Group R - Residential Group (Motels, Hotels, Apartments)
E - Education Group S - Storage Group
F - Factory Group U - Utility/Misc. Group
H - Hazard Group  
For a more complete list of various building types that are included in each Group, please refer to the California Building Code.

A: Yes, but different rules apply if it is one of the following…
High-Rise Residential
Hotel/Motel Guest Rooms

A: No, If it is one of the following…
Unconditioned Space
(What does this mean? It is when the space that is being roofed is not heated or cooled.)

Q: Okay, it is non-residential and is one of these building types;
     does it make any difference if it is a re-roof?
A: Yes. If it is…
• New, all buildings must comply with Title 24.
• Re-Roofing; 50% of the total roof area or 2000 Sq. Ft, whichever is less.
(This means if the re-roof to be done is 50% or more of the total roof area OR the area to be roofed is 2000 s.f. or more, then you must comply with Title 24).

Q: Are there any exceptions to having to install a cool roof when re-roofing?
A: Yes.
If the re-roof meets ALL of the following conditions:
• The existing roof is a rock or gravel surface.
• The new roof is a rock or gravel surface.
• There is no removal of existing layers of roof coverings.
• There is no recoating with a liquid applied coating.
• There is no installation of recover board, rigid insulation or other substrate.

Q: Are there specific insulation requirements for the roof to comply with Title 24?
A:Yes. They are:

• Replace existing insulation
• Upgrade insulation to the minimum required by Title 24 for the roof in your climate zone. This is found in Table 143 A, 143B or 143C within Title 24 document. (Whichever of these two requires the most R-value is the one that is required.)

Q: Is there anything else I need to know before I begin?
A: Yes. You need to decide which Compliance Method will be used. There are only two:

• Envelope Component
compliance method
Overall Envelope compliance method.

Q: What do these compliance methods mean?
The Envelope Component compliance method requires the use of roofing products with a minimum reflectivity value of 0.70 and minimum emissivity value of 0.75 and is the easiest way to demonstrate compliance.

The Overall Envelope compliance method allows trade-offs between various component parts of the building envelope as long as the minimum required u-factors for the specific climate zone is achieved for the wall or roof. This means that when a non-reflective roof material is used, it may still achieve compliance as long as the roof envelope achieves the u-value specified for the specific climate zone.

Q: Now that I have all this information, do I need to fill out forms to obtain a building permit?
A: Yes.
The forms required are shown below.

Q: What forms are needed if I use the Envelope Component compliance method?
ENV-1-C and ENV-2-C. These forms are available through Submittal Builder at Cool Roof Central.
ENV-1-C is entirely job specific and is fairly simple. ENV-2-C is product specific and is partially filled out for your convenience and is available at Cool Roof Central.

Q: Are there any other forms required?
A: No.
But you do need to submit labels for the roofing that show the CRRC label for the products being used. This can be the actual labels or labels found on product data sheets.

Q: Does this roof have drawings and specifications by a Design Professional?
If yes, the Design Professional must submit the required forms. If no, then the roofing contractor will submit the required forms.

Q: What parts of ENV-1-C and ENV-2-C need to be filled out?
Click here to go to information on specific products. "For most applications, only those sections shown in (yellow) need to be completed. This assumes that there are no skylights that will affect the overall information required. If skylights are present, additional information is required on the forms. You may want to consult a California Design Professional for assistance where skylights are present.

Q: Is there some help available in filling out the forms?
Yes. Click here for brief tutorial or contact a California Design professional.

As a reminder, here is a checklist for required submittal infomation
1. ENV-1-C, filled in where needed.
2. ENV-2-C, filled in where needed.
3. CRRC labels from roof product chosen.



Commercial Roofing EagleView Commercial Property Owners Portal Architects And Specifiers Green Roof Central


Product Princing and Where to Buy

© Copyright 2018 GAF | Privacy Policy and Legal | GAF Canada | GAF U.S.